The John W. Billes Entrance Grant
The John W. Billes Entrance Grant is a pilot project beginning this September 2017. This grant will be available to new domestic students registered in the Emmanuel College Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree program, and who are formally approved in the United Church of Canada (UCC) ordination process as an Inquirer or Candidate. This grant is applicable for the first 12 months within initial registration.
The goal of this grant is to provide each entering UCC MDiv student with 100% tuition waiver up to the first 10 required courses (a maximum of 5 courses per fall or winter session, or 4 courses in the summer session). If an entering student receives external support aside from government student loans that covers 100% of the program tuition, Emmanuel College will not provide additional funds. If external support is less than 100%, Emmanuel College will complement the external grant up to 100% of tuition. Incidental fees are excluded. Non-degree, non-conjoint students, including those attending under Letter of Permission, are ineligible for this tuition grant.
Conditions: The John W. Billes Entrance Grant
- The tuition grant is available only to new MDiv students who are formally approved as an Inquirer or Candidate in the UCC. No application is required.
- The tuition grant is available only to students who qualify to pay domestic tuition rates, as defined by the University of Toronto.
- The tuition grant will cover up to 100% of the cost of tuition for courses required by the student’s program (a maximum of 5 courses per fall or winter session or 4 Emmanuel College courses in the summer session), for up to a total of 10 courses (whether registered in one or more degree programs) within 12 months of initial registration.
- Regular applicable incidental, ancillary and other fees are the responsibility of the student.
- A student must be in good academic standing. A student who is no longer in good standing may not be able to continue to benefit from the tuition grant at the discretion of the Basic Degree Committee and the Basic Degree Financial Assistance Committee. The college may request the student to refund a portion of the grant.
- Payment of the tuition grant is deposited into a student’s ACORN account after the zero refund drop date in each session.
- The John W. Billes Entrance Grant cannot be deferred or transferred.
- Courses taken in the summer session are included in the grant only if they are Emmanuel College courses.
- Students who have been granted on-admission transfer or shared credits are only eligible for a pro-rated tuition grant. Students who receive 10 transfer or shared credit courses towards their degree program are ineligible.
- If an entering student receives external support aside from government student loans that covers 100% of the program tuition, Emmanuel College will not provide additional funds. If external support is 100% or less, Emmanuel College will complement the external grant up to 100% of tuition.
- Letter of Permission courses, Reading and Research courses, Pastoral Counselling Education (PCE) units and Non-Greater Toronto Area Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) units are not eligible for the tuition grant.
- Extra courses above and beyond the program requirement are ineligible.
- Courses dropped after the 100% refund date of each session will count towards the 5-course limit and any remaining balance is not available for transfer.