The John W. Billes Grant provides 100% tuition support to all full-time domestic students registered in the Master of Divinity (MDiv) program and who are in The United Church of Canada Candidacy Pathway.
1. The student must be enrolled in the Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree program at Emmanuel College.
2. To be eligible for the grant, an incoming student must submit a) a letter of intent and a letter from the mentor confirming that the student will be submitting a Candidacy Pathway application to the Office of Vocations within the first year of studies; or b) confirmation from the Office of Vocations that the student is an approved applicant or candidate.
3. To be eligible for the grant, a returning student must submit confirmation from the Office of Vocations that the student is an approved applicant or candidate.
4. The student must be a Canadian citizen, Native Canadian or permanent resident, and qualifies to pay domestic tuition rates as defined by the University of Toronto.
5. The student must be registered full-time during the academic year (September to December and/or January to April) with a course load of 2.0 - 2.5 UofT course credits per fall or winter session.
6. The grant period limit is up to the first 3 years of study.
7. A student who has been granted fewer than 10 on-admission transfer, advanced placement or shared credit courses towards the MDiv degree is eligible for a pro-rated tuition grant. The college registrar will explain how the tuition grant will apply in this circumstance.
8. A student who receives 10 on-admission transfer, advanced placement or shared credit courses towards the MDiv degree is viewed as having completed 10 courses (5.0 UofT credits).
9. A student who has been granted a minimum of 10 and up to a maximum of 15 on-admission transfer and/or shared credit courses is eligible for a pro-rated tuition grant. The college registrar will explain how the tuition grant will apply in this circumstance.
10. A student must be in good academic standing. A student no longer in good standing may continue to benefit from the tuition grant only at the discretion of the Basic Degree Committee and the Basic Degree Financial Assistance Committee. The college may request the student to pay back a portion of the grant.
11. A MDiv student concurrently registered in another conjoint degree or diploma cannot apply the tuition grant to courses that are applicable to the other program. If this is the case, the college has the right to ask the student to pay back the grant.
12. Courses dropped after the 100% refund date of each session will be counted towards the 10 course limit, and any remaining balance cannot be transferred or extended.
13. If a student’s registration status changes during the fall or winter session from full-time to part-time, the college may request the student to pay back a portion of the grant.
14. If a student’s application or candidacy status is suspended or withdrawn during the course of study, the college reserves the right to request the student to pay back a portion of the grant.
15. A recipient of this grant is ineligible for Emmanuel College financial assistance (bursary).
16. If a recipient receives external support (aside from government student loans) that covers 100% of the tuition amount, the student will be ineligible for this grant.
17. The John W. Billes Grant cannot be deferred, transferred or extended.
18. Payment of the tuition grant is deposited into the student’s account after the zero refund drop date in each session.
19. Regular applicable incidental, ancillary and other fees are the responsibility of the student.
20. The following courses are excluded from the grant: Letter of Permission, Supervised Pastoral Education (SPE) that has no fee charge and Non-Greater Toronto Area (GTA) Supervised Pastoral Education units.
21. Extra courses above and beyond the program requirements are excluded. The college reserves the right to request the student to pay back a portion of the grant.
22. Non-degree, non-conjoint basic students, including those attending under Letter of Permission, are ineligible for this tuition grant.